There were so many fantastic albums this year it’s quite difficult to choose just ten.
I shared songs from all of these fine records during the year so I dont think there will be too many surprises.
Okay, well here goes:
10. Dark Was The Night This is a complilation of indie artists and all proceeds goto HIV/AIDS awareness and support. I actually discovered this record from Colin Meloy on Twitter.
9. Hazards Of Love, The Decemberists. This one took my by surprise. I really didn’t like it at first but I stuck with it as a loyal fan. Then one day it just clicked. Beautiful record from front to back.
8. Outer South, Conor Obert and the Mystic Valley Band. Loved it from day one.
7. Sigh No More, Mumford & Sons. Just an all around fun album.
6. Monsters Of Folk . Amazing record by Conor Oberst, Jim James and M. Ward. My expectations were super high and they delivered.
5. Hometowns,The Rural Alberta Advantage. Their first record and its fantastic.
4. Reservoir, Fanfarlo. I discovered this one on the hype machine. Wonderful.
3. Humbug, Arctic Monkeys. This album just rocks. That is all.
2. Hold Time, M. Ward. An instant classic.
1. Changing Horses, Ben Kweller. When I heard Ben was going to go country on this new record i wasn’t suprised. He moved back to Texas and you could always hear those roots in many of his older songs. I saw him play last year and a number of songs from Changing Horses made the set list. They were awesome. I bought the record on vinyl and mp3 and it’s been on heavy rotation ever since.
Anyway, that’s my list. Great year and I’m looking forward to a promising 2010.
(disclosure: the links above use my amazon affiliate code. all proceeds will be sent to Heifer International).